Vandalism at Eliot

News Shorts

Someone broke into and vandalized an unoccupied Eliot House suite Monday night leaving no signs of forced entry, Laura G. Fisher, the House senior tutor, said yesterday.

"Nothing of value was stolen," Michael S. Elias '81, one of the suite residents, said, adding the intruders knocked over a bureau which had a 100-lb. water-filled aquarium resting on top.

Elias discovered the break-in at 9:40 p.m. Monday and reported the incident to the police and Fisher, who lives directly below his suite. Police could not be reached for comment yesterday.

"Someone probably had a key," Michael S. Stern '81, another member of the suite, said yesterday, "There was no forcing of the door." A locksmith changed the lock to the K-entry suite shortly after the incident.

Fisher said the police could not rule out the notion that someone living in Eliot broke into the suite. "Given the incident, there is a possibility that this is an inside job," she said, adding, "It's very scary."

Garland said recent acts of vandalism in Eliot House are probably not related to Monday's break-in.