Booters Whitewash Williams

Women Notch Ninth Consecutive Victory

By Michelle D. Healy

The still undefeated Crimson soccer machine journeyed to the Northwest corner of the state yesterday afternoon, where the women churned out their ninth consecutive victory of the season, posting a 4-0 win over a lackluster Williams squad.

A Cat Trick

Center forward Sue St. Louis, the team's leading scorer on the season, wasted no time putting the booters out in front. Picking up a Kelly Gately pass 20 yards out, the junior faked past her defender, and kicked in one of her patented jet shots for the first tally.

Combining her amazing consistency with near-perfect form, tri-captain Julie Brynteson lofted a textbook shot into the upper-righthand corner of the net to give the Crimson a 2-0 advantage near the close of the half.

Even though it opened the second half with a lead, the Crimson's tungsten-tough defense refused to let up on its inexperienced opposition, which began to falter under the shadow-like pressure and make turnovers which gave the ball to Harvard for most of the second half.

Waiting patiently for a crack at the goal, sophomore wing Cat Ferrante capitalized on the opposition's frenzied play when she swept down out of nowhere to emerge with the ball just in front of the Williams netminder--who committed herself too soon to prevent the slick Ferrante from notching the Crimson's third score. Moments later, back striker Elien Jocovik followed Ferrante's lead, picking up a pass from Cecile Scoon and powering her way past for the fourth and final Harvard goal.

The Crimson's Sherman tank offense bombarded the Williams goalie with 51 attempts, never paying attention to the less talented fullbacks who tried vainly to to screen out the shooters.

At the other end of the field, the Crimson goalies combined for their fifth shutout of the year. Senior Wendy Carle led off for the Crimson and got little work in the first half, straining herself only once when she reached up for an easy save. Barb Mahon took over in the second half and received a light workout, notching two saves.

"We did a good job defensively," said Coach Bob Scalise. "I was especially pleased with the all-around play of our halfbacks."