Speakers Tell New Left to Keep Trying

Former UAW Official Calls for Activism

By Andrew T. Pugh

Two spokesmen for the Democratic Agenda, a coalition of progressive groups inside the Democratic Party, last night called on the New Left to keep trying to change the policies of the Democratic Party.

"The time is ripe for unionism, activism, yes, even democratic socialism," Victor G. Reuther, a former United Auto Workers (UAW) official and a supporter of the Democratic Agenda, told a small audience in Emerson Hall.

"The Democratic Party has no way of making sure that the politicans it supports keep their word," Reuther said. "Jimmy Carter made dozens of important promises in 1976 he has not kept," he added.

Reuther said the Democratic Party should follow the example of American trade unions, including the UAW, to improve party discipline.

"Trade unions are pragmatic. They win benefits even for their retirees," Reuther said. "Through such small victories they win loyalty. The trade unions have learned it is a great disservice to set people marching for illusionary goals they could never reach.

"The Democratic Party today must build loyalty and political staying power," Reuther added.

More Theory

Paul Soglin, former mayor of Madison, Wis., and a fellow at the Institute of Polities, took a different perspective, saying widespread political involvement is crucial for formulating the best policies.

"The Democratic Left must understand its history is not a failure," Soglin said last night. "The Left should not downplay its own influence."

Soglin said leftist groups were partially responsible for the downfall of two former presidents, Lyndon B. Johnson and Richard M. Nixon. Nixon's undemocratic way of dealing with the Left contributed to his resignation, he said.

The Democratic Socialist Organizing Committee (DSOC) at Harvard-Radcliffe sponsored the forum.