Burglar Takes Bok's Property From Washington Hotel Room

An unidentified burglar allegedly stole President Bok's wallet, an airline ticket and his attache case from a room that Bok rented Sunday night at the Embassy Row Hotel in Washington, D.C.

Bok, who was in Washington for a meeting of the Association of American Universities, said yesterday he closed the door to his single room, went to sleep, and when he woke up in the morning, the door to his room was ajar and his property was gone.

Missing In Action

A police spokesman said yesterday the police report "gives the impression" that Bok was not in his room when his possessions were taken.

Bok told police his belongings were taken sometime between 11:30 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. A witness said he saw an unidentified woman carrying a black attache case leave the hotel at about 3 a.m. Monday morning, police reported.

Bok said yesterday his attache case was brown leather, not black. He said his case contained only papers, adding. "Nothing will be missed."

When he woke up Monday morning, Bok reported the items missing to a hotel security officer, who reported the theft to the police.

A hotel security report states that Bok was "totally uncooperative" when police questioned him about the incident. Bok said his breakfast had just arrived when a policeman asked him to go downstairs and answer questions.

Comfortable

Bok said his room, number 604 in the Embassy Row, is designed so that the door opens onto a narrow hallway with the closet at the end. He said his wallet was in his suit, which was hanging in the closet, and that his briefcase was next to the desk.

The intruder never had to enter the bedroom itself. Bok said, adding, "It was tailor-made for this kind of nocturnal episode."