Lampoon Crowns Yorkin Golden Jester

Producer-Director Accepts Award

By Paul M. Barrett

Six-time Emmy Award winning producer Bud Yorkin received the Harvard Lampoon's first Golden Jester Award last night in a Science Center ceremony.

Want It So Bad

Yorkin accepted the award "for significant contributions to comedy over the last 25 years" and presented the Lampoon with a series of clips from his films and T.V. programs. After the presentation the small Science Center audience viewed one of Yorkin's feature movies, "Start the Revolution Without Me."

Lampoon President Andrew S. Borowitz '80 praised Yorkin for his work with Norman Lear on productions such as "All in the Family" and "Sanford and Son." "This is the first 'nice' award the Lampoon has given in recent memory--maybe more than recent memory," Borowitz added.

Quick Fire

In his acceptance speech, Yorkin traced the history of television from the "golden age of live T.V." in the '50s to the "witless programming that now dominates the networks."

He said shows like "All in the Family" are "a vanguard for permanent change," adding that the '70s may someday be considered "the golden age of television comedy."