Crimson Laxmen Rout West Point, 8-6

Complete Fall Season Undefeated

The Harvard Lacrosse team ransacked Army, 8-6, Sunday at West Point, N.Y. in its only game of the fall season.

Although Army finished last spring's season ranked sixth nationally--seven notches above 13th place Harvard--and had already played four games this fall, the Crimson dominated the match, hustling to win ground balls and showing exceptional teamwork.

"We picked up about 75 per cent of the ground balls," coach Bob Scalise said yesterday. "The West Point coach told me that that had never been done to an Army team."

The Cadets jumped to an early lead, capitalizing on the Crimson's nervousness. But, as sophomore midfielder Norm Forbush said. "After they went up 3-0, it was all us."

Co-captain Pete Predun tallied the first Harvard goal of the year in an extra-man situation in the first quarter. Next period Predun scored again on an outside shot, as did teammate Mike Davis.

Harvard picked up two more points in the third from co-captain Dave Wigglesworth and freshman standout Brendon Maegher, while Forbush, Davis and Wigglesworth gave Harvard the go-ahead goals in the fourth.

First year Crimson goalie John Lechner frustrated several Army attacks, and should fill the void left by the graduation of All-American Ken First.

"This was the first time we played Army as aggressively as they played us," Predun said. "This game reinforced our belief that this will not be a rebuilding year."