Kirkland Swamps Lowell 36-0; Mather Edges Past Winthrop

By Mark H. Doctoroff

Kirkland and Mather Houses, employing two entirely dissimilar game plans, both came away with victories in yesterday's House football doubleheader at Soldiers Field, defeating Lowell and Winthrop, respectively.

In the first game, K-House, despite only 12 total points in the first two games, amassed the most points scored by a House football team yet this year, and swamped winless Lowell 36-0.

Kirkland relied heavily on its strong ground game, especially the phenomenal running of junior Jon Slater, who broke loose for scoring runs of 60, 70, and 45 yds.

Kirkland finished the regular season at 2-1, while Lowell wound up a disappointing year with an 0-3 record.

Iron Men

In the second game, 14 Mather players--injuries and hourlies having depleted their ranks--proved that modern football players can indeed play both offense and defense, as they edged Winthrop 3-0.

Gary Scher's 26-yd. field goal with one minute remaining in the game provided the winning margin.

Four Winthrop fumbles led to the demise of the defending Straus Cup champions, and neither team could control the tempo. The closest any team could come to paydirt was a Mather drive to the "Throp five, but time ran out in the first half before the offense could push it over.

Both Mather and Winthrop wind the regular season with 1-2 records.