Social Analysis 10 Tops 1000; Largest Harvard Class Ever

By Brenda A. Russell

It may have moved to the Core Curriculum, but "Principles of Economics" is once again the largest course this semester, with more than 1000 students enrolled.

Social Analysis 10 (formerly Economics 10) has 1053 students, according to preliminary enrollment figures based on the study cards turned in last week. The next largest courses are Natural Sciences 110, "Automatic Computing" with 717 students and Astronomy 8, "Cosmic Evolution", with 481, Douglass S. Gardner '57, associate registrar of the Faculty said yesterday.

"We wouldn't have as many students if the course were taught in lectures only," Otto Eckstein, Warburg Professor of Economics, said yesterday. "We're also called Social Analysis 10 this year, so we picked up a few more because of the Core," he added.

Gut?

Nat Sci 110 has 205 more students than it did last year. "We have a reputation of being one of the easier Gen Ed courses--even though that reputation may be misplaced," William H. Bossert '59, McKay Professor of Applied Sciences, said yesterday.

Bossert added he had expected a lower enrollment because of students unable to find computer terminals. But since the number of available computer terminals has doubled since last fall, the course will entail more homework, he said.

Robert Coles, professor of Psychiatry and Medical Humanities, who last year limited enrollment to 200 for Social Sciences 33 "Moral and Ethical Inquiry", yesterday attributed the large class size to open enrollment made possible because of a larger lecture hall.

Newcomers to the top ten list are Natural Sciences 3, "Introduction to Chemistry", Music 1, "A Survey of Western Music" and Government 30, "Introduction to American Government".

Haven for Gov Jocks

"Enrollment is larger in Gov 30 than in other introductory Gov courses because a number of students in it intend to go to law school, schools of public policy and, rightly or wrongly, they may think this course has something to do with that," James Q. Wilson, Shattuck Professor of Government said yesterday.

Cool as a Baked Potato

However, teaching large courses isn't always easy for the professor.

"This is my fifth year teaching this course and I never really get used to it," Eric J. Chaisson, assistant professor of Astronomy, said yesterday of Astronomy 8. "I don't think you ever get used to video tape lights on you all the time. I get as nervous as hell," he added.

Golden Oldies

Some old favorites did not appear on this fall's list because they are not offered this term or the professors teaching them left.

Humanities 9a, "Oral and early Literature" the second largest last fall, will be offered in the spring semester, and two other popular courses--Soc Sci 160 and Nat Sci 19 will be offered next year.

Soc Sci 160, "Nonverbal Communication," which ranked fourth last year, lost one lecturer, Laurence Wylie, Dillon Professor of Civilization of France, to retirement. Top Ten Courses 1. Social Analysis 10  1,053 2. Nat Sci 110  717 3. Astro 8  481 4. Chem 20a  385 5. Math 1a  384 6. Soc Sci 33  380 7. Fine Arts 13  371 8. Nat Sci 3  360 9. Music 1  325 10. Gov 30  322