A Demand of 1000

TOP TEN

By Brenda A. Russell

They tried hiding it in the course catalogue in the Core Curriculum under a revised title, but even that couldn't keep 1,053 students away from learning the basics of supply and demand in "The Principles of Economics".

Social Analysis 10, formerly Economics 10, has been perennial top choice among students since the Office of the Registrar first began records in the 1940's.

"I do believe the enormous fluctuation in the economy has something to do with it. They see the inflation, and the price of gold going up and they want to understand it," Otto Eckstein, Warburg Professor of Economics, said earlier this week.

Although the figures will change as students add and drop courses, this year's list--surprisingly enough--looks just like past years, crowded with required-for-concentration courses and Nat Sci guts.

However, 385 anxious pre-meds chose the harder path and flocked to Chem 20a "Organic Chemistry" to suffer extended lab time to meet medical school requirements.

Other courses making the hit parade were Soc Sci 33, "Moral and Social Inquiry," Gov 30, "Introduction to American Government,"