Feeling Aftershocks

RACE RELATIONS

By Burton F. Jablin

The shock waves from the shooting of Darryl Williams, a black high school student from Jamaica Plain, hit members of the Harvard community this week.

Eugene J. Green '80, president of the Harvard-Radcliffe Black Students Association (BSA), said earlier in the week, "Black students are tired of picking up the paper and reading about attacks on blacks. Concerned blacks want to go beyond the Harvard sphere."

To fulfill that goal, the BSA's executive council voted early in the week to sponsor a fund-raising party for the Darryl Williams Trust Fund and to encourage students to attend a protest rally at City Hall.

More than 600 people attended that demonstration Wednesday to protest the lack of safety for children in Boston's public schools and to urge Mayor Kevin H. White to form a special safety task force.

So far, protests of the shooting have been peaceful, but many people believe the incident was an outgrowth of an undercurrent of racial tension in the city.

"We call upon Boston City officials and community leaders to end all the incidents of racial violence which unfortunately have become a part of the Boston fiber," Green said.