Pirates Capture N.L. Pennant; Birds Fail To Eliminate Angels

The Pittsburgh Pirates will play Game 1 of the 1979 World Series Tuesday night. However, they will wait at least until tomorrow to find out where.

The Pirates won their first National League pennant since 1971 with a resounding 7-1 victory over the Cincinnati Reds at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh yesterday. The win gave them a three-game sweep over the Reds in the best of five Championship Series.

The California Angels staved off elimination and beat the Baltimore Orioles, 4-3, in Anaheim last night, scoring twice in the bottom of the ninth.

The Orioles, who now hold a 2-1 lead in the A.L. Championship Series, entered the bottom of the ninth with a 3-2 lead. However, with one out, Rod Carew doubled and scored the tying run when Oriole centerfielder Al Bumbry dropped a Bobby Grich line drive for a two-base error.

Angel catcher Brian Downing, who had reached base on a walk off reliever Don Stanhouse, then notched the winning run when Larry Harlow dropped a single into short left field.

Stanhouse, who had won game 1 Wednesday night, and saved the second game Thursday afternoon, absorbed the loss, and Don Aase gined the win in relief.

Earlier in Pittsburgh, Willie Stargell homered and doubled to lead the Pirates to their 7-1 triumph. Stargell, the team's captain and inspirational leader, finished the three-game series with two home runs and five runs batted in.

Bert Blyleven went the distance for the Pirates, as the Bucs stymied the powerful Cincinnati bats for the third straight game.

No team has ever recovered from a 2-0 deficit and won a Championship Series. However, the Angels have managed comebacks like tonight's all season long, and despite their inexperience, have refused to beat themselves.

The Oriotes have won more games than any other major league team since they moved to Baltimore from St. Louis in 1954. The Angels have never won a pennant in their eighteen-year history.

The Orioles will take the field this afternoon in Anaheim, Calif, and once again try to oust the Angels and win the American League Pennant