Women's Studies Lectures Begin

By Andrew B. Herrman

The Committee on Women's Studies will inaugurate a lecture series on Friday when Ann F. Scott, professor of History at Duke University, speaks on the role of women in the nineteenth century.

The lectures on women-related issues are named in honor of the late Isabel G. MacCaffrey, Kenan Professor of History and Literature, who died last year while serving as the first female chairman of the History and Literature Committee.

Edward L. Keenan, Jr., dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and chairm of the Committee on Women's Studies said yesterday that the committee has already scheduled three other speakers for the academic year including Katherine R. Stimpson, professor of English Literature at Barnard and editor-in-chief of "Signs", a leading journal in the field of women's studies.

Keenan said there is no limit to the number of lectures the committee will sponsor in a given year. "We have a whole list of people who seem to be outstanding, "but there may be a problem scheduling all of them, he said.