Assembly Cancels Yale Train Because Few Students Sign Up

By Susan K. Brown

The Student Assembly's plans to run a train to New Haven, Conn., for the Yale game derailed this week when the assembly got less than one-fifth the reservations needed to rent the train.

The assembly needed at least 500 students to reserve seats at $23.75 each to rent the $13,500 train, but only about 70 signed up, Joseph F. McDonough '81, assembly chairman, said yesterday.

Robert B. Cashion '81, an assembly member from Winthrop House, said yesterday only a small number of students signed up because the cost of the roundtrip tickets was too expensive and because the train was returning too early on Saturday night. "I thought Amtrak acted a little unreasonably," he added.

The assembly last week conducted a poll, in which more than 1000 students said they were interested in taking the train.

Don't Take the 'A' Train

The assembly put up posters, took out an ad in The Crimson and sold tickets in dining halls and the assembly office for three days to advertise the train. The assembly did not put a down-payment on the train, however.

Harvard Student Agencies is still running buses to the Yale game for $16. "What we were offering is a good time there and back," McDonough said.

"The Ec 10 system works--supply and demand curves didn't meet in the right place," he added.