Progressive Majority

THREE ISSUES in the Cambridge City Council race should be foremost in voters' minds Tuesday. First, rent control must be preserved. Second, the city must keep a tight lid on the expansion of condominiums. And third, the five-year reign of City Manager James L. Sullivan and his professional administration must be affirmed and strengthened.

Cambridge voters interested in these three goals need to uphold and to expand the tenuous progressive majority that has ruled Cambridge city government for several years. Incumbents Saundra Graham, Francis Duehay, Mary Ellen Preusser, Alfred E. Vellucci and David Wylie all have solid progressive voting records. Without these five, rents would be higher and an even larger percentage of Cambridge housing would be condominiums.

Two challengers also deserve support. Their election would increase the liberal edge and make progress towards social goals in the city easier. David Sullivan has defended the rights of students for eight years in Cambridge and was a key figure in achieving the current limits on condominium conversion in the city. Alvin Thompson has pledged to support continued rent controls and would add representation from the city's black population.

Under Cambridge's proportional representation system, picking a candidate for first-choice designation is crucial. Several responsible student groups are recommending students support David Sullivan's candidacy with their number-one vote. We urge all students registered in Cambridge to vote tomorrow.