Danforth Panel on Teaching Discusses Freshman Fears

By Monique A. Sullivan

"Grading is ridiculous," Michael Oppenheimer, lecturer on Astronomy, told about 20 people at a panel discussion yesterday. Comments on student work are more useful because the "only way to help students is to put in as much work yourself as you demand; keep the alienating element out," he added.

Oppenheimer, Richard C. Marius, director of expository writing, and Henry C. Moses, dean of freshmen, speaking at a Danforth Center-sponsored discussion on "The Teaching of Freshmen." concluded that two major problems of the first year are the lack of adequate freshmen conselling and the combination of young, inexperienced section leaders and aggressive students.

The Best and the...

Marius said he notices insecurity and narcissism among freshmen and must continually console freshmen fears of being unable to live up to the Harvard image to compete with their seemingly highly-talented peers. He added that he tells freshmen to think of the community and not jut themselves.

"I am surprised at the lack of supervision over young teachers," Oppenheimer said, adding that although there is some videotaping of sections there is no formal training program for section leaders. The high turnover of teaching fellows is one reason for the absence of such a program, Dean K. Whitla, director of the Danforth Center, said yesterday.

Moses read freshmen comments stressing the importance of an interested section leader. He also compared freshman year to a wilderness in which teachers must act as compasses. All panel members agreed that students learn more easily when they are actively involved.

Oppenheimer said students are helped most by instructors who give feedback and teach at a basic level so students do not try to mold themselves to Harvard. He added, "there is no chance of improving until Harvard begins rewarding instructors" and thereby provides incentives for good teaching.

The panel discussion was the second in a series of five talks aimed at helping teachers improve their teaching ability.