Committee Restricts Freshmen From Quad Athletic Facility

By Brenda A. Russell

A group of Quad residents and college administrators President Horner selected to manage the new Radcliffe Recreational athletic center decided at a meeting earlier this week not to admit freshmen to the facility except as guests of Quad residents.

"The people on the committee thought it best not to let freshmen have equal access if other people in the University couldn't." Angel R. Leon '80, South House athletic secretary and a member of the group, said yesterday.

A press release issued at the gym's dedication two weeks ago stated that freshmen. Quad residents and their guests would have free access to the gym's facilities.

Trapped

However, Horner reportedly told the group at another meeting last week that Radcliffe must restrict use of the gym because the college raised funds and accepted donations under the stipulation that the center serve only Quad residents and their guests.

"When the ground rules were laid, freshmen used to live at the Quad and now they don't." Horner said yesterday, adding the gym serves Quad residents as a house facility similar to the Adams House swimming pool

Thomas A. Dingman '67, assistant dean for the House system, said yesterday allowing freshmen unrestricted use of the facility would be a great drawing card for the house lottery."

Susan S. Lyman '43, chairman of the Radcliffe Board of Trustees, said yesterday the trustees several years ago approved a report on the gym that outlined the restriction policy.

"It's a deprived area. We thought we should give them something special," Lyman added.

Horner said the new center should increase contact between Quad residents and other students. "All they have to do is make a friend at the Quad," Horner added.