Grapplers Flatten Wesleyan, Level Bridgewater State Team

By Michelle D. Healy

Almost every able-bodied grappler got his licks in Saturday as the Crimson matmen manhandled visiting squads from Wesleyan and Bridgewater State, 30-12 and 46-2, respectively, to earn their second and third wins of the young season.

The wrestlers breezed through the first three divisions with Paul Widerman, Andy McNerney and Fritz Campbell chalking up expected wins over the Wesleyan lightweights. Only McNerney, whose unorthodox style forces him to spend time with his back too close to the mat for comfort, had a moment of trouble before flattening the Cardinals' 126-pounder, Steve White, after 5:23.

Freshman Todd Gutchow tested his moves in the 150-lb. class; and, despite a definite weight advantage, Cardinal escape artist Mike Toohey quickly found himself overpowered, 9-2.

When it moved into the heavier weights the Crimson's lack of depth showed. Wesleyan captain Scott Steele, a former New England Champion at 167-lbs., gave freshman Wes Carrion a tough time. Carrion fought a good battle, but his inexperience slowed him down, and Steele bulldozed over him for a 10-0 win.

Weighty Matters

The big men did the job with Mark Cooley and Jim Phills crushing the competition at 190-lbs. and heavyweight once again. Cooley slapped Yates Exeley with a cross-face cradle to earn his second win of the year. The Cardinals' Steve Yermish underestimated Phills, who managed to slip out of several headlocks and toss Yermish all over the mat in winning decisively, 28-12.

Coach Johnny Lee juggled the lineup for the matches against the weak Bridgewater State Bears. From the moment Harvard's Howard Verlin tied John Quinn up with leg moves, the meet looked like just an extra practice seesion for the Crimson.

Harvard's Ed Gazvoda and Phills both notched pins. Gazvoda faced off against Mike "the Masked Marvel" Alexander, putting the less talented grappler to the mat with repeated takedowns before engulfing him in a cradle for the pin. Phills eyed Terry Eastman for less than a minute before levelling him with an upper body toss.