Rosovsky Says National Economic Ills Will Cause Problems for Faculty Budget

By Susan C. Faludi and Burton F. Jablin

Dean Rosovsky told Faculty members yesterday he views the University's economic status in the next few years "with considerable concern and some pessimism."

Reviewing his budget letter, which was distributed at yesterday's Faculty meeting, Rosovsky said it was his "melancholy duty" to report that problems, including rising energy costs, a commitment to providing salary raises, and library maintenance costs, have strained the budget.

Rosovsky singled out the sciences, noting that maintaining the new biochemistry building will cost the University $500,000 a year after it opens next year. President Bok told the Faculty he will "fight in every way" to prevent construction of new buildings.

Rosovsky said tuition "will have to go up" to offset increasing expenditures, but added that "our capacity and desire to raise tuition is limited."

Tuition is expected to increase about 12 per cent next year, from the current $5300 to about $6000.

Rosovsky said he would be reluctant to reduce personnel or change the scholarship policy to save money.

Dean Fox told the Faculty yesterday that the percentage of students receiving summa cum laude degrees has risen gradually in the last three academic years.

The number of summa degrees conferred fell significantly in the academic year 1976-77, when the Faculty stiffened the requirements for attaining summa cum laude.

Fox said the number of students with summa degrees is increasing despite the tougher rules because students have adjusted their academic programs to achieve summa status.

Fox also released his report on recent actions taken by the Administrative Board (Ad Board), noting that withdrawals and leaves from the College decreased dramatically this year, from 727 in 1977-78 to 627 this year.

The Ad Board this year also handled a significantly greater number of requests for make-up examinations for medical reasons. Requests for make-up examinations for non-medical reasons declined proportionately, he added.

Fox said the University's new make-up examination policy--requiring as asterisk to appear on the student's transcript beside each grade that is based on a make-up exam--may have "dampened students' enthusiasm" for using the make-up exam option.

In other Faculty business, Rosovsky urged Faculty members to pressure their colleagues to turn in grades on time, warning he will write letters to professors who have submitted grades after deadlines. Last semester, professors' failure to submit grades for four or more days after the deadline affected 659 degree candidates, Rosovsky said.

Andrew M. Gleason, Hollis Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy and chairman of the subcommittee on the Core Curriculum, told the Faculty that almost 100 students will have taken experimental Core computer mini-courses by the end of the semester. These non-credit courses are designed to teach students how to log on and off the computer and write a simple program.

Gleason urged all Faculty members to take the course, offering to set up special mini-course sessions for professors.