CUE Asks for Drama Course Standards

Students Warn Against Pre-Professionalism

By Elizabeth H. Wiltshire

Student members of the Committee on Undergraduate Education (CUE) said at yesterday's meeting they will not support drama courses for credit proposed by Robert S. Brustein, future director of the Loeb and director of the American Repertory Theater (ART), unless he can guarantee that the courses are well-taught and suitable for all undergraduates.

Steven C. Gold '81, a CUE member said yesterday the Educational Resources Group (ERG) "basically supports" Brustein's proposal, but "we do have some reservations we'd like to work out some more."

The ERG is still divided on some of the conditions it will require. Jay A. Mattlin '82. co-chairman of the ERG, said yesterday, but added the group will probably stress three points:

* limited-enrollment courses should be only one semester long:

* the introductory theater course should have an unlimited enrollment:

* Brustein should offer extra-curricular, non-credit courses.

Staff Turnover

CUE student members also advised that the Faculty require the ART staff members who teach these drama courses to remain at Harvard for a certain length of time. Student members fear staff turnover in a theater company such as ART may make it difficult for the drama teaching staff to work out problems in teaching courses over the years.

Mattlin said the student members also asked that the Faculty make acting and directing courses pass/fail and require its; committee on drama to evaluate all courses.

Gold said he is worried about the ART's commitment to teaching and Harvard. "I'm very concerned about trying to integrate the program into the Faculty for more security," he said.

Faculty members who spoke at the meeting agreed with the stipulations.

Glen W. Bowersock '57, associate dean of the Faculty for undergraduate education, said yesterday the Faculty committee should choose teaching candidates based on recommendations from drama experts.

Jurij Striedter. professor of Slavic Languages and Literatures, said yesterday "I have been convinced that people need credit courses," but added. "It must not become professional training for future actors."

No Pre-Professionalism

Bowersock asked that the ERG outline its recommendations on the drama courses for the next meeting.