House Lobbying

CRR

By Elizabeth H. Wiltshire

At last count, ten Houses have voted to continue the boycott of the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities--a boycott which has lasted for a decade, with only one break.

North and Quincy Houses have yet to vote, and the Freshman Council will reconsider the issue next week.

A small group of Student Assembly members, led by Stephen Carter '80, has lobbied the Lowell House Committee--the only group so far not to support the boycott--and convinced it to reconsider its vote, Carter said yesterday.

Elizabeth B. Tracy '81, secretary of the Lowell House Committee, said yesterday she has not heard of a move to reconsider the boycott.

Carter and several other assembly members have met with House committee chairman, said yesterday committee meetings to explain the issues, Carter said.

William A. Groll '80, Adams House Committee chairman, said yesterday some assembly members called him earlier this week, offering to send someone to the committee meeting if he thought the vote on the boycott would be close.

The assembly is not pressuring the committees to vote a certain way, Joseph F. McDonough '81, assembly chairman, said yesterday. "Anybody that has [lobbied for continuing the boycott] has sort of done it as individuals," he said. "The assembly just voted to recommend the boycott," he added.

The CRR was established in 1970 to discipline students involved in the strike and demonstrations of the preceding April. In the last five years, no cases have come before the committee, and the CRR has not expelled anyone since 1972.