GOP Club Officers Oppose Nixon Visit

Two Send Letter Asking Him Not to Come

By Elizabeth H. Wiltshire

The vice president and secretary of the Harvard Republican Club last Monday sent a letter to former President Richard M. Nixon urging him not to accept the club's invitation to speak here in the spring.

Kenneth G. Lucero '80 and Nancy E. Achin '81 stated in a press release they are speaking only for themselves and not for the entire executive board of the club.

"Because of the way in which the invitation was handled, the mood on campus is such that a visit by you at this time would be very untimely, especially for the Republican Club here," the letter states.

Face Off

The club's executive board voted to invite Nixon last spring and again this fall, both times unanimously, Kathleen Duey '79, Republican Club President, said yesterday. Lucero and Achin attended both meetings, she added.

"I don't know what would have happened if it had been brought up at a board meeting for reconsideration." Achin said yesterday.

"If the letter is damaging to the club. I'll resign if they ask me to," Achin added.

Achin said she hesitated to vote to invite Nixon because she is concerned about people's respect for the club.

look like a cheap publicity stunt that will backfire," she said. "If he did speak I would probably start knocking on doors to get the message through that we do not support him," she added.

Earlier this week, Chinese-style wall posters denouncing "Kathy Duey and the Gang of 4" appeared around the campus, showing Nixon as a puppeteer with Duey and four board members dangling from the strings. The poster said "Elect Ken Lucero Republican Club President."

Richard W. Berenson '80, who resigned from the club this fall, produced the posters and said Lucero did not know about the posters until they had been put up.

"The people who were represented thought it was very funny." Berenson said. "That is essentially the way it was meant." He said members have taken past Republican Club elections too seriously, and "since Teng was in town a wall-poster seemed appropriate."

Lucero could not be reached for comment last night.

Duey said the Nixon question is just an indication of a larger rift in the club.

The real disagreement is between those who want a "risky" and outgoing policy and those who "are afraid to do anything they think will cause embarrassment," she said.

The Republican Club will hold elections on Feb. 13. Achin said the president's race may boil down to two factions warring over the issues on which she and Duey disagree.