Anti-Fire Program In Quincy House Stresses Prevention

By James G. Hershberg

As part of an ongoing fire prevention program in Quincy House, House officials are distributing leaflets and House newsletters asking residents to take precautions in case of fire.

"Our main intention is to make people aware of the dangers that exist should a fire break out and acquaint them with the possibilities for escape," Marshall R. Pihl '55, senior tutor of Quincy House, said yesterday.

Pihl and Charles W. Dunn '39, master of Quincy House, are coordinating the program, which they originated last October.

Since last fall, University fire inspectors and Buildings and Grounds personnel have inspected Quincy for fire hazards. Although they discovered no major problems. Pihl said, inspectors recommended that "a few things," such as labeling of fire exits, could be improved.

Alan Wachman '80, who painted the sign, said the program aims to "raise the consciousness" of residents who might be unprepared in case of a fire. "We want to get people to think about exit routes in advance," Wachman added.

One Quincy resident, Aaron Cassill '80, said he didn't think students were paying much attention. "I don't think the program has had much effect--I know where the fire exits are. I have the fire department's number taped by my telephone. There's not much more that one can do," he said.