Icemen Dump Princeton, 4-3

Purdy Scores Twice in Sixth Win

By Peter Mcloughlin

Amen! The Harvard hockey team turned a sloppy, lackluster performance into a thrilling come from behind, 4-3, victory over Princeton last night at Walter Brown Arena.

Trailing 3-2, Harvard came out flying in the third period and capitalized on two power plays to earn the win. Senior Gene Purdy scored the winner at 14:25 with Princeton's Todd Hewett in the penalty box for elbowing. Purdy threw a shot towards the Princeton goal which Tiger captain Dave Kelly inadvertantly tipped past goalie Bob Mann.

"It was a pass to Bobby McDonald." Purdy said after the game. The goal was Gino's seventh in ten games and his second of the contest.

Captain John Cochrane had tied it for the Crimson, drilling a superb George Hughes pass past Mann from twenty feet out, finishing off three-on-two break. Jack Hughes also assisted on the score, Cochrane's seventh of the season.

Coach Bill Cleary started freshman Giff Duffy in the Crimson net last night. Duffy, playing his first game for Harvard, put in a fine performance making twenty three saves en route to an exhilerating victory. "I was hyper and excited all game," the rookie from North Oaks, Minn. said after the game. "It feels great to win. The team made it easy for me," he added.

Duffy stopped a number of Tiger shots from point blank range, but all in all, "Princeton didn't take many hard shots," Duffy said.

Duffy, with the rest of the Harvard defense had a busy night as the Crimson incurred 14 penalties. The Crimson successfully killed off 13 of the Princeton advantages.

Tiger Craig Tresham gave Princeton a 1-0 lead in the first period on a power play. Princeton made it 2-0 late in the first, but Purdv's first goal cut the margin to 2-1, driving a George Hughes pass off the goal post and into the Princeton net with just 12 seconds remaining in the stanza.

Early in the second period. Princeton's Dave I weedy and Harvard's Randy Millen traded goals before some physical warfare between the loes. Tresham instigated a battle with the two Hughes brothers at 1300. After Treshman twice knocked Jack's helmet to the ice with his stick, brother George threw a punch at the Tiger. George went to the pevalty box for four minutes: two for roughing and two for unsportsman-like conduct. George received the second penalty for going after Tresham while on his way to the slammer. Harvard killed them both.

Harvard's record now stands at 6-15-1. As dark as that sounds, Duffy remains optimistic. "This season has been tough on the seniors, but we can still put a string of wins together against some good teams. We'll show people that Harvard is no pushover," Duffy said. Amen.