On the Occasion of the New Haven Invasion

The Yalies are coming! The Yalies are coming! This weekend you'll find Elis under every rock, in every nook and
By Bill Ginsberg

The Yalies are coming! The Yalies are coming! This weekend you'll find Elis under every rock, in every nook and cranny, at the IAB, at Hemenway Gymnasium, at Blodgett Pool, and probably in Lamont Library Saturday night after they give up trying to look cool at 33 Dunster St.

The first Crimson squad to face the onslaught of the Blue Bow-wows will be the women's basketball team. The Harvard-Radcliffe cagers host their Yale counterparts at the IAB, Friday night at 7:30. Meanwhile, the JV aquawomen will attempt to submerge an Eli contingent at Blodgett Pool at 8 p.m.

On Saturday, Yale's full strike force will arrive in Cambridge replete with sabres, epees, and various foreign objects. A veritable battalion of swordsmen and swordswomen will engage in Ivy combat at the IAB beginning Saturday afternoon. Both the women's varsity and JV teams will unsheath their weapons for 1 p.m. skirmishes. Reinforcements will be called to the scene of action at 2 when the varsity and JV men's teams clash with the Bulldogs.

The scope of the war will broaden during the afternoon as the Crimson squash teams--men's varsity and JV--take to the courts at Hemenway at 2 p.m. At the same hour, Harvard and Yale athletes will also battle on a third front.

Naval tactics will be in order at Blodgett Pool where Admiral Bernal will send his fleet of Crimson submariners and divebombers into action against the Blue Lubbers. Earlier Saturday morning, the Harvard women's varsity torpedoes will splish-splash the Elis by forcing them to take a bath at 11 a.m.

On a dangerous foray into enemy territory, the men's varsity basketball expeditionary force will try to outgun Yale at New Haven. The JV's send out an advance force at 5:30 p.m., and the first shots in the varsity tilt will be fired at 7:30.

By Sunday, a truce will be proclaimed that should last until sometime this spring. In the meantime, the Crimson troops will prepare for the invasion of Dartmouth's ice hockey team next Wednesday. The JVs skate at 4:30 in the afternoon and will be followed by the varsity contestants at 7:30 p.m.

Also on Wednesday, the women fencers will host Wellesley at the IAB. Thrusts and parries begin at 6:30 p.m.

On the professional circuit, some real hostilities will take place at the Boston Garden next week. In the National Hockey League's version of limited warfare, The Boston Bruins will face Colorado Tuesday night at 7:35.

A battle of epic proportions (about 6'9" or 6'10") will be enacted at the Garden Wednesday night at 7:30. The sphere-wielding Celtics contend with equally tall musical giants, the New Orleans Jazz, in an NBA matchup.

Tomorrow night, and I mean night,(11 p.m. to be exact) the Celtics can be seen (on the tube) playing the Los Angeles Lakers. Another sporting event coming from L.A. Which will also be televised is the Glen Campbell-L.A. Open. The linksters will putter around on channel 7 at 5 p.m. Saturday.

Other TV action Saturday afternoon includes the ECAC Basketball wildcard playoff doubleheader (channel 4, 1:30 p.m.) and the incomparable Pro Bowler's Tour Cleveland Open (channel 5, 3:30 p.m.).

For you sports jetsetters, my tip this weekend is sunny Providence, Rhode Island. The women's hockey Ivy Tournament will run from Friday until Sunday, and the men's basketball team will make a guest appearance at Brown, Friday night only, for a 7:30 p.m. tip-off.