Horner to Visit China With National Panel

By Brenda A. Russell

President Horner will leave for China on March 5 as a member of a national policy panel to study China relations sponsored by the United Nations Association (UNA) of the U.S., a group that studies technological, cultural and economic developments in other countries.

The panel which includes academics, businessmen and government officials, will visit China in order to complete a report on the economy and culture of that country, Horner said yesterday.

The panel planned the trip last September and has not met since the recent strife began between China and Vietnam, Horner said, adding the group had planned a meeting in Washington last weekend but cancelled it due to the snow.

Members of the UNA-US and the national policy panel could not be reached for comment yesterday.

No Danger

"The situation there is very serious, but we don't forsee any danger," Horner said, adding the trip will continue as planned unless the situation worsens.

"I think it would be a particularly interesting time for Horner and the others to visit China in light of the recent Chinese invasion of Vietnam," Albert M. Craig, associate director of the East Asian Research Center, said yesterday, adding that the group's visit will be "one more step" toward normalizing Chinese-American relations.

Horner said the 13-day trip that will include visits to Tokyo, Taipei, Hong Kong and Peking, will mark her first visit to China.

Give and Take

Horner, a member of the panel's subcommittee on cultural and technological developments, said, "I think there are wonderful opportunities for cultural and technological exchanges between the two countries."

Although most of the members will leave for China a few days earlier, Horner is delaying her trip because of meetings with Radcliffe Alumnae in Philadelphia, Washington and New York. She added that she will return March 18 because of other alumnae meetings in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and other West Coast cities.