Two-Mile Relay Sets Record At Women's New Englands

The Harvard women's track team, its sights set on the Big Three Championships next week and the Eastern Championships at Princeton the week after, sent a small contingent to the New England Championships this weekend and found limited success at Boston University's Armory.

Pappy Hunt's thinclads entered three relays; but when Pat Gopaul pulled her achilles tendon in the 4 X 200-meter relay, the squad also had to pull out of the mile relay, leaving the two mile as Harvard's only relay event. Gopaul is expected back for the Easterns.

The Crimson, however, made much of the lone relay opportunity, with Sarah Linsley, Kat Taylor, Terese Sellers and LeAnne Rozelle (on the anchor leg) finishing in a school record time of 9:25, good for second place behind Rhode Island.

The Middle Road

"Our goal was to get a good two mile relay so we can get a good seed in the Easterns. We did that and we ran better than we expected," Linsley, the team captain, said yesterday.

Kim Johnson bettered her Harvard record in the shot put by more than a foot with her toss of 43-ft. 91/4-in., which gave her third place in the event.

Kathy Rice jumped 16-ft. 8-in. to take fifth place in the long jump.

Sue Harper, Harvard's only other competitor, failed to make the finals of the 55-meter hurdles.