SASC Challenges Bok to Open Debate

Bok to Clarify S. Africa Stance in March

By James L. Tyson

The Southern Africa Solidarity Committee (SASC) yesterday challenged President Bok to a debate on Harvard's South Africa related investments to, as one committee member said yesterday, make Bok state conclusively his stance on the issue.

In a letter delivered yesterday to Bok, the SASC stated that there exists now "an unsatisfactory environment for thoughtful, informed decision-making" on South Africa issues, which a debate could improve.

Silent Spring

The letter also said this environment results from Bok's silence on the South Africa investment and Engelhard Library issues this school year and from not holding a public forum where both sides have equal time to present their positions on the South Africa issue.

Although Bok said last night that he prefers not to comment on whether he will debate the SASC until he reads their letter, he did say he "won't be silent for very long" on the issue of Harvard's South Africa-related investments.

Bok said he will be clarifying his opinions on facets of the South Africa issue next month.

Guy Molyneux '81, an SASC member, said yesterday Bok has kept a low profile and has avoided making public statements on the Engelhard and South Africa issues.

Bok "has tried not to associate himself with the issues and has passed the responsibility" off to other administrators, Molyneux said.

Paul Clements '82, also an SASC member, said yesterday he hopes Bok will seem in the debate as "conservative and unfeeling to student opinion as he appears."

The SASC's letter requests that Bok respond within a week and schedule the debate for a date prior to spring vacation.