Wrestlers Overpowered at Easterns

The Harvard wrestling team finished a rocky season this weekend by losing a succession of tough matches in the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association championships at Princeton to wind up 15th in a field of 16 teams.

Senior Craig Beling--the only Crimson wrestler to place in the tournament--earned a sixth place finish and a silver cup in the heavyweight class. Beling was also the only Crimson grappler to win his opening match, and he took two matches in the consolation round. But he lost a thrilling third-place match 8-7 to Lehigh's Bill Amelio.

Three Crimson wrestlers, Rick Kief, Brian Bare and Jon Franklin, drew top-seeded opponents for their opening matches. Kief, in the 126-pound class, lost his two matches to the first- and third-place finishers by scores of 15-2 and 7-4. Bare wrestled well and lasted into the quarterfinals of the consolation round for 134-pounders.

Franklin, a senior, fought a gutsy bout in the 150-pound class, losing a couple of tough matches, including one to eventual tournament champion Larry Kihlistadius from Navy. Kihlistadius pinned Franklin in the closing seconds.

Coach Johnny Lee said last night, "I had no complaints. It went just about as we figured. The Eastern kids, especially champion Lehigh, are physically strong. We're tough enough, but just not strong enough to upset those kids."

Doug Mason wrestled as well as he had all season, but still lost early in the tourney. Mark Cooley wrestled at 190 and lasted until the second round of the consolations.

Freshman Paul Wiederman lost a heartbreaker to Cornell's Paul Pietropolo in overtime. Pietropolo had scored a reverse in the last 15 seconds to knot the score.

Teammates Tony Cimmarrusti and Alex Montogomery each lost in the early rounds to powerful opponents.

Despite the disappointing finish, the Crimson wrestlers consoled themselves with their annual post-season eating sprees. Franklin said yesterday, "We had a great time down there. I've gained 22 pounds in two days of eating and drinking."