Canaday Roof Leaks Plague Residents

B&G Cites Design Faults

Students in Canaday Hall complained to Buildings and Grounds (B&G) this week about chronic roof leakage in recent months, Frank A. Marciano, superintendant of B&G, said yesterday.

"Every time it rains or snows we have to use a barrel to catch the water." Joseph Lee '82, a resident of Canaday, said yesterday.

The poor design of Canaday has caused the problems, Marciano said. The built-in metal gutters along the roof expand and contract, breaking joints and producing hairline cracks which are difficult to pinpoint, he added.

Lawrence J. Joyce, director of B&G, said yesterday he could not estimate repair costs until he inspected the building.

Joyce said B&G would be able to afford minor repairs for Canaday but lacks the money for "a major job."

B&G cannot repair the leaks yet because "it's too cold to get up there and fix them now," Marciano said. During warm weather last week, B&G teams were able to repair several entryways, but students said many leaks still remain.

Although the worst leaks did not begin until the cold weather, persistent problems have plagued the dorm since October, James A. Klein, senior adviser in Canaday, said yesterday.

"We have had drips in several of our rooms and extensively in our bathroom and stairwell." Karen Freeman '82 said yesterday. "Once I found it leaking on my stereo, which was more than just a little inconvenience," she added.

Other students complained of leaks over toilets, radiators, and personal property. "It used to be so bad that it leaked through to the third floor," one resident said yesterday.

Marciano said that although the leakage in Canaday is more serious than in any other undergraduate housing area, the cost of repairing the roof should not impede progress once the weather becomes nicer.

Several students cited other problems with the building. "At Thanksgiving our shower caved in and we had 18 people using the two on the second floor," a Canaday resident said yesterday. Over-crowding on the top floors of Canaday aggravates the inconvenience, he added.

The leakage has continued in C and F entries, according to residents. Students in D entry, however, said repairs made last week apparently prevented leakage during the storm early this week.

"My head hasn't been getting wet, so I assume they did something," said one resident.