Last One in is a Rotten Egg

It may not look like spring outside, but this weekend is the end of the winter season for a number
By Bill Ginsberg

It may not look like spring outside, but this weekend is the end of the winter season for a number of Crimson sports teams.

The men's basketball team will wind up its season Friday and Saturday night when it hosts Columbia and Cornell at the IAB. Both games begin at 7:30 p.m.

Friday night's game against the tough Columbia squad, a team that is still hoping to attract an NIT bid, could be the battle for second place in the Ivies this year. The Crimson hoopsters looked great last weekend when they provided Harvard fans with two exciting last-second victories.

This will be the last time anyone gets a chance to win the Bermuda Shoot, so make sure you buy a program and put my name on the entry blank before you drop it in the shoot box.

If you are interested in some intra-Harvard hoop action, then arrive at the IAB for Friday night's preliminary game between the JV's and the Harvard Classics. These two teams have played each other twice already this year; each team has one victory and one loss. Friday's tilt will be the unofficial sub-championship game.

The only other action around campus this weekend is the Eastern Swimming Championships. The Harvard aquamen will be seeking to dethrone last year's champs, Princeton, in Blodgett pool.

Bobby Hackett is expected to sweep three freestyle events, as he did last year when he was named Performer of the Meet. Each day the prelims begin at noon, and the finals start at 7:30 p.m. The meet will last from Thursday until Saturday; tickets for the finals each evening will cost undergraduates $1 when they present their bursar's card at the door.

Here is the schedule of events:

Thursday, March 1

Preliminaries: 12 noon. 1. 500 yd. Freestyle 2. 200 yd. Individual Medley 3. 50 yd. Freestyle 4. 400 yd. Medley Relay 5. One-Meter Diving (first eight dives).

Finals: 7:30 p.m. 1. 500 yd. Freestyle 2. 200 yd. Individual Medley 3. 50 yd. Freestyle 4. One-Meter Diving 5. 400 yd. Medley Relay.

Friday, March 2

Preliminaries: 12 noon. 1. 400 yd. Individual Medley 2. 200 yd. Freestyle 3. 100 yd. Butterfly 4. 100 yd. Backstroke 5. 100 yd. Breaststroke 6. 800 yd. Freestyle Relay 7. Three-Meter Diving (first five dives).

Finals: 7:30 p.m. 1. 400 yd. Individual Medley 2. 200 yd. Freestyle 3. 100 yd. Butterfly 4. 100 yd. Backstroke 5. 100 yd. Breaststroke 6. 800 yd. Freestyle Relay.

Saturday, March 3

Preliminaries: 12 noon. 1. 100 yd. Freestyle 2. 200 yd. Backstroke 3. 200 yd. Breaststroke 4. 200 yd. Butterfly 5. 400 yd. Freestyle Relay 6. 1650 yd. Freestyle (all but the last of the time finals) 7. Three-Meter Diving (dives 6-8).

Finals: 7:30 p.m. 1. 1650 yd. Freestyle (last heat) 2. 100 yd. Freestyle 3. 200 yd. Backstroke 4. 200 yd. Breaststroke 5. 200 yd. Butterfly 6. Three-Meter Diving finals 7. 400 yd. Freestyle Relay.

I hate to bring up a sore subject, but I think everyone realizes that thesis jokes are already long overdue. I mean some seniors have already finished writing 100 pages. But if you're one of those, like my roommate, who hasn't started writing yet, don't use your thesis as an excuse for missing all the exciting activities Harvard has to offer in early March.