Assembly Unity

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

In the course of the recent elections of the Student Assembly and its officers several people have expressed the fear that their opinions and arguments will not be taken seriously due to the seeming success of the Coalition for a Democratic University in those elections. That fear is completely unfounded. Not only does the CDU lack the will or power to take control of the Assembly but its organization reflects the opposite motive--that is, the stimulation of increased active student motivation in the student association.

It has unfortunately become necessary to remind all members of the Assembly of the responsiblities which they have undertaken as representatives. They have been entrusted for one year with the development of an enormous potential that can only be realized through an informed exchange of opinions. No one has the right to hinder the expression of those opinions, not the administration, not the CDU, not the House Committees. Only the students can collectively deny the representativeness of the organization which they so overwhelmingly supported last spring.

Obviously, all representatives are expected to participate actively within the Assembly, which includes, at a minimum, a certain level of attendance at meetings. For, although representatives cannot really fulfill their obligations by merely being present during discussion and resolution of issues, regular attendance is necessary to that fulfillment.

If, therefore, students become effectively disenfranchised within the Student Assembly because of the lack of responsibility on the part of their representatives, the appropriate action will be taken by the Assembly or by the affected students as specified by the Constitution.

The disunity fostered by the House system can be overcome while the merits of that system can be more fully developed if the organizations involved respect their independent roles. For, ultimately, the quality of undergraduate life depends on that mutual respect. Maxine S. Pfeffer '81