Dean Sacks Explains Tuition Increase

Letter Outlines Law School Budget

Albert M. Sacks, dean of the Law School, issued a statement Thursday outlining the reasons for the recommended tution increase of $375 and encouraging student and faculty comment on the measure.

Sack's letter stated that the increase from $4000 to $4375 would cover a projected increase in Law School expenses from $12,700,000 to $13,900,000.

Adjustments for inflation, funding for projects such as the conversion of Langdell Library, expansion of clinical programs, and financial aid increases contributed to the increase in tuition.

An additional 14.2-per-cent increase in dormitory fees will cover the expenses of a new system of allocating maintenance and building costs.

Sack's letter said that President Carter's inflation guidelines require a 0.5 per cent reduction of the average 9.7-per-cent increase in tuition costs in both 1976-77 and 1977-78. The 9.2-per-cent increase of $368 has been rounded up in "the spirit of the guidelines" to $375.

A law student who asked to remain unidentified said the $7 "rounding up" represents a full third of the $20 reduction in cost which Carter's budget guidelines forced the school to cut. "I object to the in cost which Carter's budget guidelines going to argue about $7.

Russell A. Simpson, assistant dean of the Law School, said yesterday he feels that the tuition increase is "minimal," especially in view of inflationary conditions and increases at other private law schools.

"It's hard to resent. No one's happy about it, but it's a fact of life, "James V. Feinerman, a third-year law student said yesterday.

Most students will not object to the increase since it will provide more funds for clinical programs, he said. These programs offer practical law experience in the community.

Donald K. Schott, a second-year law student, said yesterday he favors the funding of most of the programs but feels that administrators and students should have an opportunity to reassess and possibly eliminate some old programs.

"When they don't cut programs, they blame tuition increases on inflation. There's a dead weight there that could be cut, he said.