South House Ends Boycott Of Assembly

By Alan Cooperman

The South House Committee voted late Monday night to call for an end to the House's boycott of the Student Assembly, committee members said yesterday.

Four of the House's five assembly delegates have boycotted the assembly since the South House Committee recommended a boycott last week, charging that the assembly had "irresponsibly" rejected a proposal for a college-wide referendum on whether there should be political parties in the assembly.

Because the assembly voted this Sunday night to hold a similar referendum, "we felt it had met our conditions and we thought we should end the boycott," David V. Schultz '80, a South House assembly delegate, said yesterday.

At Monday night's meeting, South House residents also elected Francis H. Strauss III '81 to fill the assembly seat of Angel R. Leon '80, who resigned last week in protest of the assembly's initial rejection of the referendum on political parties.

Apathy

All South House residents were eligible to come to the committee meeting and vote for the delegate to replace Leon, but less than 40 students came, committee members said yesterday.

The committee voted to poll all South House students after spring vacation on whether they support a boycott of the assembly.

Alison Dundes '81, the only South House assembly delegate who did not boycott the assembly this week, said this week she did not boycott because "more than one-fifth of the students in South House are against a boycott and they deserve to be represented."

Maxine S. Pfeffer '81, chairman of the assembly, said yesterday she is "terrifically pleased" that the committee voted to call off the boycott. "Boycotts really hurt because they raise doubts about the legitimacy of the assembly in the minds of both students and administrators," Pfeffer said.