Mleczko Hits 6 Assits As Laxwomen Explode, 15-1, Past Bowdoin Squad

By Michelle D. Healy

The Harvard laxwomen put on on impressive show for their fans yesterday afternoon, once again demonstrating their powerful offensive potential as they demolished the defenseless Bowdoin team, 15-1, in the season's home opener.

The Crimson got off to a good start when, moments into the game, Sue St. Louis went behind the goal and whipped a pass out to fellow attackman, Ellen Seidler, who quickly fired it into the goal for the first tally of the contest. St. Louis followed Seidler's lead moments later when she stuffed the ball past the bewildered Polar Bear goalie.

Off to a quick 2-0 lead, the Crimson defense lapsed just long enough for Bowdoin's Katrina Altmaier to slip in and score the Polar Bears' lone goal. From then on the Harvard team used its airtight defense to hold the Bowdoin squad scoreless.

Cat Ferrante, playing at defense wing yesterday instead of on the attack, proved herself a vital cog in the Crimson resistance with four key stickchecking maneuvers that brought the ball back into Harvard hands.

Relishing the opportunity to display their offensive skills, the laxwomen penetrated the Bowdoin defense time after time. Freshman Lisa Kent notched four goals in the first half, with three in a row just before the whistle blew. Kent continued to bombard the Bowdoin goalie when she opened the second half with two more quick scores.

Heavy Passing

Most of Harvard's goals came on plays which involved heavy passing before finding an opening, but Kent and St. Louis continued to show their skills in the one-on-one situations by bulldozing past any defender who tried to challenge them.

The most impressive performance of the game came from junior Sarah Mleczko, who displayed her versatility by turning in six key assists. Coach Carole Kleinfelder recently moved Mleczko to third home, where she will less of an opportunity to score but will be needed to go behind goal and feed the rest of the Crimson offense.

"I think it was a very important game to win because we needed the boost in our confidence before we play Dartmouth on Saturday," Kent said yesterday.