Black Bears Blank Batsmen In Cold Soldiers Field Debut

By David A. Wilson

The hitting and defense that has carried the Crimson batsmen this year went sour yesterday as the Black Bears of Maine defeated the Crimson, 9-0.

A windy, overcast Soldier's Field diamond provided the proper background for Harvard's first blanking.

The Crimson also broke its string of three consecutive errorless games in yesterday's home opener.

The nature of Harvard's problems throughout the contest was apparent in the first inning. A walk, a stolen base, a slow infield single in the shortstop hole and a Burke St. John error on a doubleplay ball led to the Bears' first run.

Crimson starter Tim Clifford became a Wee Willie Keeler victim in the third when a grounder with a red-tipped white cane found its way through the infield and Maine second baseman Bob Anthione turned up the chalk on the left field line for a double and one tally. Two more hits brought the score up to 3-0.

"Timmy threw well out there today," coach Alex Nahigian said after the game. "The ball just had eyes. It seemed like everything they hit found a hole and everything we hit was right at somebody."

First baseman Mark Bingham gave credit to the Black Bears for playing a sound fundamental game. "They played a good game. Their outfielders covered a lot of ground and their infielders made some good plays."

Maine starter Don Mason controlled the entire game, keeping the Crimson batsmen off third base until the ninth inning and allowing more than one baserunner in only, two frames. Mason registered one strike out and that on a questionable call. But the sophomore right-hander walked only two and had the defensive support to register a shutdown. "He wasn't spectacular, but he kept the ball low," Bingham said.

Clifford did not feel so good about his performance. "It was generally a matter of frustration. I threw the ball well, but I pitched like horseshit. I was throwing my fastball hard and my curveball was breaking well, but I was just very dumb," he said.

Ron Stewart relieved after the sixth inning when three Bears lumbered across the plate on three hits (two of which were on 0-2 counts), a walk and a wild pitch. Stewart pitched the final three innings effectively, giving up only one run.

"This game was pretty important even though it wasn't a league match," Clifford said. "We've really got to win the Eastern League for people in New England to believe we're a good team."

THE NOTEBOOK: Charlie Santos-Bunch returned to the Crimson lineup for the first time in a week but is still bothered by pulled thigh muscle. "We need his bat in there," Nahigian said ... The loudest Harvard cheer of the day came from the inebriated rooting section of Jim Peccerillo after the Crimson senior hit a pinch single to start the eighth. At Soldiers Field MAINE  AB  R  H  BI Watson, cf  3  3  1  1 Anthione, 2b  5  1  3  3 Buckley, If  5  0  3  0 Mitchell, dh  5  0  3  2 Stowell, 1b  5  0  0  0 Armstrong, c  4  1  1  0 Schwob, rf  4  0  0  0 Coutts, 3b  4  1  2  0 Adams, ss  3  1  0  0   38  7  13  5 HARVARD Kelley, 2b  4  0  1  0 Santos-Butch, cf  4  0  0  0 Blood, cf  0  0  0  0 Stenhouse, rf  3  0  0  0 Bingham, 1b  4  0  1  0 Marshall, If  3  0  1  0 Tilles, dh  3  0  1  0 Pearce, 3b  4  0  0  0 St. John, ss  3  0  0  0 Wark, c  3  0  1  0 Peccerillo, If  1  0  1  0 Totals  31  0  6  0 Maine (away)  102  003  001  7  13  1 Harvard (home)  000  000  000  0  6  2

E. St. John 2, Adams DP Maine 1, Harvard 2 LOB Maine 8, Harvard 7 2b Anthione, Coutts sb Watson S Tilles Pitching  IP  H  R  ER  BB  SO Maine Mason  9  6  0  0  2  1 Harvard Clifford  6  10  6  5  4  2 Stewart  3  3  1  1  0  1 WP Clifford A 100