Institutional Racism

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

The news reports in The Crimson of Wednesday's South Africa teach-out and of the dedication of the Steve Biko Memorial Library unfortunately failed to mention the issue of Afro-American Studies. Afro-American Studies was not only the subject of a featured speech by Afro-American Studies Department (AASD) concentrator Rick Guthrie, but was also high-lighted throughout the day as the main example of the institutional racism ox Harvard University. The news stories also neglected the role of the KSG Black Caucus in initiating the march to the Kennedy School and encouraging the renaming of the library. Pamoja Burrell, spokesperson for the KSG Black Caucus, delivered the keynote address, which was scarcely mentioned in the articles.

It was no coincidence that Guthrie spoke about the AASD to students protesting Harvard's support of apartheid--the attacks on the Department by the Bok administration are closely linked to the University investments in apartheid. Both cases reflect the racist nature of the outlook and policies of the Corporation. Both cases reveal the basic hostility of the President and Fellows of the Corporation to the efforts of self-determination of Afro-American and African peoples.

As the differences between the Corporation and the student movement sharpen on a range of issues, in particular on Afro-American Studies and South Africa, we think it is incumbent on the editors of The Crimson as responsible journalists to report fully on the events and ideas which are bringing the University to the point of crisis. Bill Swislow '79   Ian Fletcher '79   Matthew Rothschild '80