ARCO Panel

Kilson said he supports divestiture and urged students to "stick to it" because they are on the right side of the debate.

Preston N. Williams, Houghton Professor of Theology at the Divinity School, said the Advisory Committee on Shareholder Responsibility (ACSR) does not take the duty of advising Harvard on its stock decisions seriously enough. The ASCR reports are "glossy and misleading" and present "no hard pushing questions," Williams added.

Williams supports a program of selective divestiture by Harvard to be followed by total divestiture if this action fails to bring about "the proper response."

Harvard should institute a program of study in South African affairs to explore the ethical and practical questions surrounding the South Africa issue, Williams said.

Thomas C. Schelling, Littauer Professor of Political Economy at the Kennedy School of Government, said after the panel that a university should only take a stand on a moral issue in "extraordinarily rare times."

"It would be the best thing for the University if it were out of its legal power to divest," Schelling said, adding, "There is nobody at the University who wants to deal with the portfolio."

The panel also discussed the moral problems involved in the naming of the Englehard Library, and the lack of blacks and other minority groups represented in the Kennedy School faculty.