Laxwomen Prevail, 15-3; St. Louis Notches Four

By Michelle D. Healy

The Crimson stickwomen whipped off their third straight victory yesterday afternoon, once again treating the home crowd to a display of offensive fireworks while embarrassing a helpless Bridgewater State team in a 15-3 laugher.

The Harvard squad wasted no time at all before taking advantage of the Bridgewater State defense. Left attack wing Anne MacMillan move easily through the zone and pushed the ball by the statue-like goalie.

Catching on quickly, the rest of the Crimson attack had no trouble moving on the opposition, as they quickly drilled in another five goals before the Bridgewater team could get on the scoreboard.

The first Bridgewater goal came midway through the first half when the Harvard zone hesitated just long enough to give the attack a clear shot on goal.

Realizing their mistake, the defense tightened up and kept the opposition off guard while the ever-powerful attack ran up four quick scores to close out the half with a 10-1 lead.

The laxwomen continue to rely on a continuation of plays to make their offense click. Freshman Lisa Kent found the goal with an arrow-straight shot, after getting the pass from steady senior Ellen Seidler.

Sue St. Louis, continuing to power through defensemen at will, muscled toward the cage on another one-on-one play. St. Louis followed her power move with finesse, faking low, then coming all the way up and zinging the ball over the head of the Bridgewater goalie.

Bridgewater shifted to a man-to-man defense for the second half and saved the Crimson a little bit of trouble. Once they adjusted, Harvard had little trouble penetrating into scoring range. The Harvard defense made all the right connections and led the attack well, as they racked up another five goals on the way to slaughter.

The visitors' worst habit was giving up the ball. The Crimson defense has no match when it comes to scooping up those ground balls and capitalizing on the opportunity with quick goals.

"We played decently but we weren't as aggressive as we should have been," goalie Charlotte Worsley said yesterday. "We will definitely have to be more aggressive when we play UNH on Thursday."