A Scoop Behind the Coop

Long before man created rock and roll there was folk music. And the multitudes partook of it and rejoiced. Then
By Elizabeth E. Ryan

Long before man created rock and roll there was folk music. And the multitudes partook of it and rejoiced. Then the album was born, and folk music was flattened into little round discs, trapped in cardboard envelopes, and smothered in cellophane. Although folk manages to live on, its spirit died in the recording studio.

Like nomadic pilgrims looking for their lost Mecca, folk followers never give up searching for their musical ideal. Humming Judy Collins' tunes under their breath, they turn desperately to FM radio and infrequent concerts, and on sunny days even perform strange rituals with guitars under the trees in the Yard and Cambridge Common. Initiates fervently insist the only true folk music is live folk music.

But seekers of the "mellow way" need search no further. Just behind the Coop, at 47 Palmer Street--the alley near the book annex--is Passim, a coffee house with by far the best folk music that Cambridge has to offer. Open Thursday through Sunday nights, The Listening Room at Passim, as the haven is called, books only the best local musicians, most of whom have released their own albums. Professional yet relaxed, the musicians let you know just how good live music can be, while the audience sways, sings and smiles along.

Pianos, dulcimers, bass, and, of course, guitars take turns backing up the vocalists, but the truly outstanding sounds are those of the singers themselves. Some pretty amazing guitarists play Passim--Guy Van Duser really shines. It's music sweeter than wine, and that's not such a bad thing these days with the drinking age where it is.

The atmosphere at Passim is Bohemiam, sophisticated, and collegiate. By day old people with beards sit and smoke pipes, middle-aged people with beards sit and read Sartre, and young people sit and grow beards. Unless, of course, they're women--in which case they do the above without the beards.

"We're basically a folk club", says co-manager Bob Donlin, who runs the place with his wife, Rae-Anne. The clientele is "jeans, suits, and neckties,-- we get the whole thing, we like it that way."

During the day, Tuesday through Saturday, Passim is a coffeeshop and gallery with a wide variety of lunch items under $3 and hand-made art works, folk albums, and cards from over 40 countries. Classical music and the clink of teacups on saucers punctuate the continuous hum of conversation. By night, when Passim is transformed into The Listening Room, rows of chairs are added between the tables, enabling the place to seat about 170.

On Thursday and Sunday there's one show per night, at 8:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday there are shows at 8 and 10 p.m. Shows run a little longer than an hour-and-a-half--the opening act runs thirty minutes, and the main act is an hour. One thing to remember: the doors are locked an hour into the show, so get there early if you want to get in.

Great music isn't Passim's only attraction. The Listening Room menu include hot and cold drinks; tuna, ham, and kosher-style salami sandwiches; date-nut bread; cheese and crakers; and eight different kinds of desserts. The prices range from $.50 to $1.25.

Dedicated folk fans frequent the Listening Room often; some claim it is the place to catch the up-and-coming stars. Rumour has it that Bob Dylan got his start at Passim. "Yup", says Donlin. "Passim has been here for only ten years, but eighteen years ago, when the club was called 47, Bob Dylan used to come by."

In more recent years, some guests of note have been folk singer and comedian David Bromberg, Ronee Blakly, Tom Paxton and Martin Mull, who guest hosted NBC's Tonight Show two weeks ago.

Passim's price is perhaps its only bad point. The cover charge ranges from $3 to $4.50, depending on the act. You came to Boston for cultural diversity, but didn't expect to pay for it, eh? Well, if you can't swing it, save up or go Dutch. Where else can you get a first-rate concert for under $5 and a front-row seat besides? Passim is definitely one of those places that make Cambridge better than New Haven.

This weekend will be an especially good one. Taylor Whiteside will open on guitar, and Guy Van Duser and Billy Novick are the main act. Awesome. Drop this rag and head over there. Passim is a rare bird--go catch it