Two Semi-Tough Series Begin Tonight

Jim Shorts

By Jim Hershberg

O.K. Kids, what do you call it when a gelatinous, undulating mass of 17 hockey teams has shrunk to a compressed--but not radioactive--bubble of four squads, all confident, all talented, all more than a bit nervous? You call it the NHL semifinals, and that's where we begin tonight.

NEW YORK ISLANDERS vs. NEW YORK RANGERS. Well, at least one thing's certain: a New York team will make the finals for the first time since Bobby Orr & Co. knocked off our friends the blueshirts in six games in 1972.

The Islanders' strong points are well-known. The combination of Mike Bossy, Bryan Trottier, the probable Hart Trophy center, and Clark Gillies found recognition this year as the best line in hockey, and, for a change, seem to be maintaining their production during the playoffs.

A shoo-in for his third Norris Trophy for best defenseman, Denis Potvin can do more than aid Stefan Persson on the power play. When hot, he can make the game his own and control its tempo with aggressive, offensive play. Vets Gerry Hart and Dave Lewis, and an improved Bob Lorimer, will also help.

Bill "Don't Call Me Billy" Smith and Glenn Resch will alternate in the nets, as they have, very effectively, all season.

Then there are Fred Shero's Rangers. A few weeks ago, the Manhattanites were a big, fat, ugly question mark over the playoffs. But their impressive romps over Philadelphia--winning 7-1, 5-1, 6-0 and 8-3 after losing game one in OT--have Islander fans on edge.

Phil Esposito, aided by first-year man Don Maloney, is on a nostalgia kick, pumping home points (including the overtime series winner against LA) like he did in the Bad Old Days. While injured Ulf Nilsson watches from the stand, fellow Swede Anders Hedberg, slick-skating Pat Kickey, a cooled-out Don Murdoch and Ron Duguay will be counted on to supply the offense, with help from a suddenly rejuvenjted Steve Vickers. Steady Walt Tkaczuk remains the team's top checker.

On defense, captain Dave Maloney (yes. Don's brother) will attempt to keep the Rangers young defense in line with positional play. And goalie John Davidson has been just fine. Nick Fotiu is in charge of fights.

It's gonna be tough. But look for the Islanders in five.

MONTREAL CANADIENS vs. BOSTON BRUINS. Something very strange happened to the Habs Sunday night. I mean, real strange. They were leading the Toronto Maple Leafs 4-0 in the second period, which is quite normal and expected, then let Ballard's boys tie them in the third, which is not. Naturally, the Habs won, 5-4, but as Jacques Lemaire so modestly pointed out. "We can't win every game that goes into overtime."

Montreal will try to outskate Boston--an understandable strategy for any team that has Guy Lafleur, Jacques Lemaire, Pierre Mondou and friends--and set up quiescent gunners like Steve Shutt.

Larry Robinson, Serge Savard and Guy Lapointe are secure on "D", but Brian Engblom may be tenuous. Ken Dryden is massive. He leans over and catches shots that other goalies do splits to kick out. Ridiculous.

It's tough to take sweeping the Pittsburgh Penguins as a terrific accomplishment, but the Bruins do seem to have shaken their late-season blues and are back on track. Jean Ratelle, Rick Middleton and Wayne Cashman and Dwight Foster put in fine performances against the Pens.

Mike Milbury shone on the blueline in the quarters; he and Brad Park will try to hold back the waves of bleu, blanc et rouge so Cherry Cheevers won't have to play miracle man. He will, but it won't be enough. Montreal in six. Again. Islanders vs. Montreal. Enjoy the appetizers.