Director of Development To Take Pomona Position

By Scott A. Rosenberg

Alfred M. Gibbens, director of University development, will leave his post at the beginning of June to become vice president of development at Pomona College in Claremont, Calif.

Gibbens said yesterday he decided to leave Harvard for family and professional reasons.

His departure will not hurt the University's planned $250 million capital fund drive, he added.

"I've built a staff," Gibbens said. The remaining work for the fund drive requires personal knowledge of many alumni, and "taking advantage of the kind of personal information that some members of my staff have and that I don't care to accumulate," he said.

Searching

Fred L. Glimp '50, vice president for alumni affairs and development, said yesterday he has advertised for a successor to Gibbens and has set up a screening committee to choose one.

Glimp said he expects to name Gibbens's successor by June 1.

"The job description will shift a little. I'd hope it would be someone who's familiar with the people--being a long-standing pro is not absolutely essential" he said.

Gibbens said Chase N. Peterson '52, former vice president for alumni affairs and development, had chosen him, and "the terms under which I was hired have changed, since Fred Glimp approaches things differently."

Movin' Out

He said, "It's not clear that the same duties will be available--my leaving gives Fred a chance to assemble his own team."

However, he emphasized the personal reasons for his departure and said he would prefer working at Pomona to working at Harvard because of the California school's smaller size.

Peter F. Clifton '49, executive director of the Harvard College Fund, said yesterday Gibbens' departure will not affect the capital drive.

Gibbens has been director of development since April 1977, when he came to Harvard after four years as president of Yankton College in Yankton, S.D.

Gibbens said the screening committee to fill the post includes himself; David A. Aloian '49, general secretary of the Associated Harvard Alumni; and Howard F. Gillette '35, assistant to the vice president for alumni affairs and development