Students Rally At Princeton For Divestiture

More than 400 Princeton students picketed Nassau Hall, Princeton's administrative building, yesterday afternoon and approximately 700 did not attend classes to protest Princeton's policy on South Africa related investements and to honor Martin Luther King.

The picketers listened to Bobby Seale, former Black Panther and Oakland, Calif. Mayoral candidate while picketing, and many students attended a memorial service for King and special seminars on topics ranging from the Boer war to the educational system in South Africa.

T. Dennis Sullivan, an assistant to Princeton's president, said the picket and service will most likely not lead to an alteration of the university's policy toward its South Africa related investments.

The Princeton Board of Trustees issued a statement last May citing their repugnance for apartheid, charging a committee with the review of Princeton's investments in corporations active in South Africa, and stating they would encourage these companies to adopt the Sullivan principles which set certain guidelines for employment practices.