Laxwomen Score Upset Over Bulldogs

Crimson Pulls Out 5-4 Win

By Michelle D. Healy

The Harvard laxwomen posted their biggest win of the season yesterday afternoon when they upset Yale, the top-ranked team in New England, by a 5-4 score in a pressure-cooker of a game.

The overconfident Bulldogs leapt out in front, 2-0, when the Crimson defense suffered its only lapse of the game and allowed the Yale attack to pump in two quick shots.

Attack wing Sue St. Louis scored the first Crimson goal when she came around the left side of the goal and powered her way past Yale's tough box-and-one defense, pushing in an unassisted tally. Cat Ferrante tied the score when she made a high-low cut through the zone and quick-sticked the ball in, after receiving a sharp pass from senior Ellen Seidler.

Moments later, the Bulldogs were able to sneak a fast goal by Crimson goalie Charlotte Worsley. Near the close of the half the Crimson tied it at 3-3, when St. Louis whipped a pass to Julie Cornman, who quick-sticked it in for the goal.

Harvard led for the first time when freshman Annie Macmillan scored the first goal of the second half. Macmillan came in right-handed, then pulled a quick switch and shot the ball in left-handed.

The Harvard team now moved into the driver's seat with a 4-3 lead. The Crimson tried to confuse the Bulldog defense and pull them out of their tight zone by getting passes all over the field. Refusing to give up so soon, Yale gave the ball to their dependable first home, Tracy Ball, who raced to the cage and pushed in the final Bulldog goal.

Ferrante notched the winning goal after third home Sarah Mleczko hit her with a pass. Ferrante's score came on a long shovel-shot from the left side of the goal crease. "Our attack played a special offense and it worked extremely well," Seidler said yesterday. "We were poised and patient, this allowed us to capitalize on their mistakes," Seidler added.

The laxwomen hope that the momentum will continue to move in their favor when they face Dartmouth tomorrow at 2 p.m. in the season's final home game.