Hand It to Bok

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

It seems to me that all this brou-ha-ha about where to store radioactive wastes can be resolved once and for all, to the satisfaction of all concerned. Certain bleeding-hearts have asked me, where can we store wastes safely for 100,000 years? There are no human institutions that can be depended on to take care of dangerous substances for so long they say. But the problem is solved! The wastes should be placed in the office of the President of Harvard University. Harvard is the oldest and most stable institution in the U.S., and there can be little doubt that it will outlast civilization as we know it.

One might have reasonable fears that although Harvard is immortal, the statesmanlike position of the Presidency might degenerate over time, and dangerous wastes placed in the hands of irresponsible terrorists and youths. Never fear; President Bok's recent statements on South African investments indicate that the philosophical and political orientation of the Harvard Presidency is steady as a rock throughout the ages, and that he and former president Increase Mather could have a jolly little party together at the Faculty Club. Here's to tradition, fair Harvard! Paul B. Rosenberg '79