Crimson Laxmen Bombard Connecticut, 16-7; Victory Boosts Slim Post-Season Hopes

By Mark D. Director

Regrouping after last weekend's stunning loss to powerful Princeton, the Harvard men's lacrosse team bombarded a talented University of Connecticut squad, 16-7, for a strategically important win Saturday in Storrs, Conn.

Carrying a slim 9-7 advantage into the fourth quarter, the laxmen parlayed a late explosion into a seven-goal romp that left the Huskies reeling in their final game of the year.

Playing with a separated shoulder that hindered his clears, Crimson goalie Ken First protected the net to perfection in the final period, allowing the ignited attack to keep the pressure on the UConn defense.

Midfielder Gordie Nelson saw limited time, playing only in man-up situations, because of an injury that further damaged the Harvard passing game.

Leading scorer Mike Faught (43 goals, 6 assists) led the Crimson barrage with a five-goal afternoon, while co-attackmen Mike Ward (16 g, 4 a) and Norm Forbush (13 g, 35 a) added three goals and two assists and one goal and five assists, respectively.

"It took us a while to get going. We were still a bit sluggish after the loss to Princeton," Crimson coach Bob Scalise said yesterday.

The win, which moved Harvard's record to 9-3 on the season, came on a crucial weekend in the men's lacrosse picture.

Brown, currently New England's top-ranked team and just three points ahead of second-place Harvard, fell victim to a spirited Dartmouth squad, 12-9, Saturday in Hanover, N.H. Meanwhile, number three University of Massachusetts, nine points behind the Crimson in the rankings, squeaked past Army, 8-5, Saturday at West Point.

With Harvard slated to face UMass Tuesday at the Business School and Brown Saturday in Providence, the week ahead shapes up as the decisive one of the season.

Though hopes for a post-season playoff berth in the NCAA tournament seemed virtually obliterated after the Princeton loss, a pair of wins this week could brighten the Crimson hopes and send Harvard back into control in New England. (The Bruins and Crimson both both have three losses on the season.)

The final decision-maker should come May 12, in Hanover, when Harvard faces a Dartmouth squad that is peaking after early-season losses to Princeton and Hofstra. Last week, Dartmouth was fourth in the N.E. rankings; but the win over Brown leaves the 7-2 Green Machine with the fewest losses of any New England team.

"If we win two this week, we may squeak in there," Scalise said.

By the slimmest of margins, a Harvard playoff berth once again may be feasible.