Undergraduates Celebrate Second Consecutive Virtual Housing Day

Dean of Students Office Discusses Housing Day, Anti-Racism Goals

Renowned Cardiologist and Nobel Peace Prize Winner Bernard Lown Dies at 99

Native American Nonprofit Accuses Harvard of Violating Federal Graves Protection and Repatriation Act

U.S. Reps Assess Biden’s Progress on Immigration at HKS Event

Reardon Becomes Development Director

Will Help Oversee Capital Fund Drive

By Scott A. Rosenberg

Thomas M. Reardon took over as director of University development last week.

Reardon, formerly director of communications for the development office, replaces Alfred M. Gibbens. Gibbens announced last month he was leaving Harvard to become vice president for development at Pomona College in Claremont, Calif.

The change in development office leadership takes place as the University is preparing for a five-year, $250-million capital fund drive.

Reardon said last week he will oversee the staffing of the fund drive.

"We're internally well-organized-now it's just finalizing plans and going forward with them," he said.

The development office has been collecting advance gifts and conducting "feasibility studies" over the last year. In April, development officials said they had already received $25 million in pledges for the campaign.

Officials hope to have at least $50 million in pledged contributions lined up before they announce the campaign in the fall.

On July 1, the fund-raising machinery of the Harvard College Fund-which con- ducts an annual fund drive among Harvard alumni-will join the development office for the duration of the capital drive. The Harvard College Fund includes committees in six geographical divisions of the country for each alumni class.

Reardon will also coordinate the fund-raising of each of Harvard's graduate schools as part of his job.

From 1975 to 1978, Reardon oversaw Harvard's program in public policy. Before coming here, he was press secretary to former governor Francis Sargent