Class of '54 Meets For 25th Reunion

By William E. McKibben

Clutching "Great Comeback of '54" wastebaskets and wearing floppy white sunhats, 557 members of the Class of '54, their wives and children registered for their 25th Reunion yesterday.

George S. Abrams '54, co-chairman of the class gift drive, promised that the class would set a new all-time giving record "for any class in any university."

With more than $1.5 million already in hand, Abrams said he was confident that by the end of the week gifts would total "substantially more" than $1.6 million, beating out the current record set by this year's 25th reunion class at Yale. "It's always been a generous class," Abrams added, pointing to the records the class still holds for 15th and 20th reunion giving as proof.

The fund drive efforts, however, will be "low-key." "Last year, they had 60 members who spent all four days going after money. There will be nothing like that this year," Abrams said. "This reunion is an occasion for all of us to relax and enjoy ourselves with a minimum of pressure."

A reunion official who asked not to be identified said attendance was normal. "It's not the biggest ever--557 out of 1140 living members--and it's certainly not the smallest," she said. Over 2500 people are attending the reunion altogether.

Virtually every moment of the next four days is planned out for the class. Last night, children discoed at Leverett House while their parents swayed to the sound of The Boston Jazz Band in the Dudley House cafeteria.

The reunion guests tackle more serious fare tomorrow--a morning seminar featuring President Bok, L. Fred Jewett '57, dean of admissions, and Dean Rosovsky, who will discuss "Harvard Today," and an afternoon session on "Government: What Has It Done for Me Lately (and can I afford it)" led by Class politicians Sen. John C. Culver (D-Iowa), and Reps. David Bowen (D-Miss.) and Anthony Beilenson (D-Ca.).

"It's a very funny feeling to wake up suddenly and realize that it's time for the 25th Reunion," Stephen Weiner '54, now a partner in a New York law firm, said yesterday as he stood outside the Union. "This is something I'd heard about since I was a freshman at Harvard--I didn't come for any of the others, but when it came time for the 25th I told the family we had to make the trip," he added.

Hair

The undergraduates at Harvard today "are more polite and friendly," George Walcott '54, now a doctor, said with a smile. "Well, at least they're better groomed than they were 10 years ago," Weiner added. "We used to come back for football games, and there would be no one with short hair."

Most alumni are "vaguely aware but not too sympathetic" with the few rebellions still left on campus, Arthur "Bugs" Baer '54. "We actually don't hear too much about the South Africa thing," Walcott said. In past years, student activists have shown up for the alumni registration to denounce University involvement in South Africa--yesterday, the only undergraduate organization represented was the Harvard Band, which staged an impromptu concert in front of the Union door.

Class of '54 members, some wearing "veritas" ties, stood on the steps humming their way through "10,000 Men of Harvard," remembering a snatch of the lyrics now and then. Children, who are separated by age into the Green, Blue, Orange, Red and "Youngest" groups, milled around too, waiting for the beginnings of the program of activities which will separate them from their parents for much of the week.

Filthy Memories

Some of the returning alumni said they had changed more than Harvard in the 25 years since they joined the company of educated men and women. "I walked into the Adams House suite, and it was grubby as ever," Weiner said. "It brought back a lot of memories," he added, "like the time my roommate didn't make his bed for six months."