Carol Bellamy to Address K-School Commencement

By Susan K. Brown

Carol Bellamy, president of the New York City Council, will deliver the Commencement address at the Kennedy School of Government tomorrow.

Bellamy, a former Institute of Politics fellow, will speak on America's need for accomplished managers and technicians--which she says the K-School prepares--and its need for values and morality in government, Carter A. Eskew, a speech-writer for Bellamy, said yesterday.

Her speech will also stress that the government needs to unite "compassion and values with efficient techniques," Eskew added. She will say government leaders should be both "informed populists and enlightened professionals," he said.

Bellamy will also say that when the government lacks good leadership, it tends to spend money and hope problems will go away, Eskew said.

The difficulties of running a welfare state are obvious, but the results of with-drawing support for the needy could be disastrous, Bellamy will say. She will call for a fully-staffed government, but one without excess fat, Eskew said.

Selected as K-School Commencement speaker after a number of students recommended her, Bellamy will arrive tomorrow morning and leave as soon as she has delivered her speech because of an important council meeting in New York Thursday afternoon.

Eskew said he does not think she will receive an honorary degree.

Bellamy was unavailable for comment yesterday.

The first woman elected to city-wide office in New York, Bellamy became president of the City Council Jan. 1, 1978. She won by the largest margin of any city-wide candidate in 1977. She was recently appointed to the Board of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

She is also a member of the Alumni Executive Council of the K-School.

Elected to the New York State Senate in 1972, she served as ranking Democrat on the Senate Democratic Task Force of New York City.