Authors of B-School Energy Report To Meet With Carter Aide, Senators

By Steven Waldman

The authors of the Business School's recently released report on energy are meeting today with President Carter's top domestic advisor Stuart Eisenstadt to discuss the findings of their study.

Moreover, they have testified before a number of Senate committees, prompting Senators "to initiate energy conservation proposals which might not have been proposed," Peter Smith, a staff member of the Senate Energy Committee, said yesterday.

The Energy Project's report, entitled "Energy Future," rejects the development of domestic oil, coal, nuclear power and natural gas as solutions to the nation's energy problems.

Go Solar

Instead, the group says the U.S. could cut its energy consumption by 40 per cent by adopting conservation and low technology solar power.

Today's meeting with Eisenstadt is the first discussion that the members of the Energy Project, the group which sponsored the report, have had with the Carter Administration.

Sen. Howard Metzenbaum (D-Ohio) arranged the meeting during an Energy Committee hearing last Thursday.

Metzenbaum asked the authors of the report during the hearing whether they had met with anyone on the White House staff, and when they said they had not, Metzenbaum telephoned Eisenstadt in the middle of the hearing to arrange the appointment.

However, the spokesman for Eisenstadt said yesterday the meeting was arranged because "the study has received a lot of attention, and we wanted to see what they had to say." Mel Horwitch, assistant professor of Business Administration, said yesterday the meeting will have "symbolic" importance.

Forever and Forever

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54 (D. Mass.) has already met with the authors of the report and "wants to work closely with us," Sergio Koreisha, a member of the Energy Project, said yesterday.

Kennedy has co-sponsored a bill with Sen. John Durkin (D-N.H.) emphasizing conservation rather than synthetic fuels, which has been stressed in President Carter's plan.

Working Relationship

The Kennedy-Durkin Proposal is "taking the (Energy Project's) recommendations and putting them into effect," Kenneth Hughes, a staff aide on Kennedy's Joint Economic Subcommittee on Energy, said yesterday.

In addition to Kennedy, other senators on energy-related committees have said they want to continue a "working relationship" with the members of the Project, Koreisha said.

"The reaction of the Senators was very, very encouraging. They said the report is practical, pragmatic and what the country needed," Koreisha added.

The Energy Project, directed by Robert B. Stobaugh, professor of Business Administration, and Daniel Yergin, lecturer at the Kennedy School of Government and author of the Cold War study "Shattered Peace," was established in 1972.