Wildcats Shut Out Crimson, 3-0, As Field Hockey Opens Season

By Nell Scovell

Yesterday, for the second year in a row, the University of New Hampshire shut out the Crimson field hockey team in the season opener. But unlike last year, the Wildcats held to three goals, were well aware that Harvard was on the field.

"Last year we had a one-sided, 5-0 game; but this year Harvard really improved, and we were always expecting them to break through the line," Jean Rilling, UNH coach, said after the game.

The Wildcats' speed and aggressiveness proved too much for the relatively young Crimson squad, which started three freshman who have been with the team for just one week.

The Wildcats scored their first goal at 14:55 in the first quarter when junior Gabrielle Haroules came out on top of a one-on-one situation with Harvard's freshman goalie, Kate Williams.

"Kate was really nervous," Harvard coach Edie MacAusland said. "The game was a good learning experience for her."

Forward Pattie Foster notched another goal for UNH in the first half when she rebounded a shot from Haroules into the net. But Harvard then settled into some good possession field hockey.

"We started out panicking a little bit and just hitting the ball, but later we started passing up the field," co-captain Chris Sailer said.

The Crimson defense kept the Wildcats scoreless in the second half until Sue Messier netted a deflection late in the period.

The offensive potential the Crimson showed in last Saturday's scrimmage against Boston University, when Harvard chalked up a 6-0 win, never surfaced in yesterday's game.